Several small watch manufacturers in the Saint Croix area of Switzerland joined together in 1814 into an organization aimed at better organizing the export of their products. The company was called “Maison Paillard” .
From about 1860, apart from clocks, watches & components, the company began to manufacture music boxes. Up until the 1870’s much of the work was done by craftsman in small studio’s around the region. In 1875 Paillard built its first factory building.
1898 Paillard began to make cylinder phonographs, which lasted until about 1905, when they switched to the manufacture of disc gramophones.
1913, Paillard developed an electric AC - gramophone motor, and this technical development became a popular export item.
In 1919, the Paillard became a limited company and at that time had over nine buildings in Ste Croix and Yverdon.
From 1927 Paillard built electric amplifiers for gramophones, and from 1932, also began the production of radio equipment. Another diversification came in 1930 when Paillard began the manufacture of film cameras and projectors under the “Bolex” tradename. Paillard, evolved into one of the most successful Swiss manufacturer of cameras, radios and radiograms. For its radio’s and amplifiers Paillard had used American valves, but during the war years even made some of their own.
1947 the company became a limited company under the name Paillard SA
1963 Paillard acquired the Thorens gramophone business. Unfortunately with the technical advances in the radio field with the introduction of transistors, Paillard could not keep up with foreign competition, both technically as well as from a price perspective. In around 1966 Thorens was reformed as a company.
In the early 1970’s Eumig took over the Bolex range, and in 1981 Paillard was taken over by Olivetti, which in turn became part of Telecom Italia.
After the bankruptcy of EUMIG, there was a management buyout of the Bolex part of the company, and the Bolex company still exists in Yverdon making and repairing film cameras.